Learning how to handle an adoption as a rescue!

                                   Do I get Attachment to a dog? Meet Ruger!  Oh goodness, YES! 



Today, May 26,2018, my little Ruger, 
named after the finest guns made, is getting adopted. I don't want to let this tiny fragile dog go, he only weighs about six pounds, but I know somehow I have to work with my soul and hand him graciously to this man that wants and needs him, that adores him, has a little female one eyed dog that instantly fell in love with Ruger, and I have to send all my blessings. And that saving the dogs, then finding them homes is my job. Im not supposed to get attached/ If I do how can I save the next baby in need? But some of the babies just get so deeply ingrained in my being. Ruger is one of those special angels for me. 

Ruger loves the guy that drove from San Diego to Corona to adopt, has now spent almost $150 at the Petsmart buying Ruger a comfort harness, new toys, Halo food, a soft soft bed, and even had his little girl dog groomed to meet Ruger. She only has one eye, she is now Ruger's woman. And knowing that this man needs Ruger, and his baby girl doggie, the main thought I am holding onto in my saddened brain, is this home is where Ruger belongs.  And he is loved.

Let me tell you about Ruger:

We took in Ruger on December 23, 2016, a long time ago now from our local Corona Animal Shelter. Ruger was picked up by their animal control after being found burned with cigarette burns all over his entire body. He was sick, and not expected to live. Kids in our Corona ghetto had done the damage to this tiny little boy dog just for sport, and no one was ever arrested. Its all just so sad. Because the one suffering was Ruger. He could not even be touched for a couple months. We gave him bathes that help soothe his painful burns. And of course immediately had him seen by our vet, so he did have to take antibiotics and pain meds for several weeks.

He got better and better with love and time. Kept him in our bed at night, and he would go from me to my husband, but would just hug onto us. And never stopped grasping all night with his arms full of love. 

The day we got him at the shelter with seven other dogs on death row, it was our Christmas gift for our rescue and us; the other dogs are all adopted now, but I had arrived in the morning at LAX after being in northern Minnesota to bury my last of two cousins, in 30 below weather. Arthur, who died, my cousin, fought in the front lines of Vietnam. He was my best friend my whole life. His brother Jimmy, also my other best friend since we were all born, held my hand as the 21 Gun Salute took place by Army friends of Arthur's, and we both just sobbed. Then Jimmy looked at me and said, "Boy Sue its always been us burying them, now its us burying us. I don't like this idea." And in silence we held each other, and just cried. 

Arthur loved Ruger guns, and Ruger the minute I  saw his horror of those cigarette burns, I knew he had to be named after Arthur's gun collection, and in honor of Arthur's life. 

Attached to this baby, my soul became part of this dog, and he knew it. I will remember how deeply Ruger held me every night. I love you my little man.   

Susanne Spirit 
www.greenlandhollerpets.org

Ruger his first night in his new sweater. Still not going potty, but many times dogs won't go when they are in a new home; but this morning Ruger went to the new Daddy's arms. Love you my boy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Sweet Baby has no home. Please help save her now! Foster or adopt!

Purpose of my life. . . Saving dogs in harm. Part One of Two

Tethered for three years, Princess Jada ia now free and waiting for her new home. Adopt her today!~